UPDATE: Alleged Minnesota Shooter Left Courthouse To Retrieve Handgun After Conviction In Sex Case; Daniel Schlienz Returned And Repeatedly Shot Prosecutor, Witness, Sheriff Says

Daniel Schlienz: Minnesota courthouse shooting suspect.

Cook County, Minn., prosecutor Timothy Scannell survived three gunshot wounds yesterday afternoon and remains hospitalized. A second person shot three times at the Cook County Courthouse also survived and remains hospitalized, the Star Tribune of Minneapolis/St. Paul reported.

Sheriff Mark Falk laid out some chilling details in a statement today on the arrest of Daniel Schlienz, 42, the accused gunman. Falk also released Schlienz’s mugshot.

Schlienz was found guilty yesterday of criminal sexual conduct, but was not immediately remanded into custody, according to Falk’s statement.

After the jury’s finding of guilt, Schlienz left the courthouse and retrieved a “handgun” from his vehicle, according to Falk’s statement.

Schlienz then went back inside the courthouse “and went to County Attorney Timothy Scannell’s office with the loaded weapon,” according to the sheriff’s statement.

Scannell is 45, according to Falk’s statement.

Once inside the office, Schlienz shot Greg Thompson — a subpoenaed witness in the sex-crime case — in the leg, according to the sheriff’s statement.

Thompson is 53 and, like Schlienz and Scannell, lives in Grand Marais, Minn. Thompson fled the office after being shot, according to Falk’s statement.

Schlienz then shot Scannell, Cook County’s elected prosecutor, inside the prosecutor’s own office, according to the sheriff’s statement.

Still not done, “Schlienz then left the office and saw the witness Thompson on a nearby landing,” according to Falk’s statement.

Schlienz then shot Thompson a second time, according to Falk’s statement.

“At that point Schlienz’s defense attorney came to Scannell’s aid,” according to the sheriff’s statement.

Deputy Gary Radloff — a 70-year-old bailiff who heard the shots and cleared “the jury and the judge from the courtroom” for their safety — then followed the sound of the gunfire and confronted Schlienz.

“[A] struggle ensued, during which Deputy Radloff was injured but was not shot,” according to the sheriff’s statement. “Another Cook County deputy and a Minnesota State Patrol trooper arrived on the scene and took Schlienz into custody.”

Falk’s statement was issued through the Minnesota Department of Public Safety. The office of Minnesota Attorney General Lori Swanson is handling the prosecution of Schlienz. Charges are expected to be filed Monday.

Schlienz is being held at the Cook County jail.


About the Author

Comments are closed.